Friday, May 4, 2012

Inspiration from nature

As we celebrated Freedom Day  last Friday and Tuesday, 1st of May was also a public holiday, many of us took leave from work on Monday as well.  This gave us a special looooong weekend of 5 full days!  We camped with friends in tents at Bushman's Valley, 3km outside of Prince Albert in the Klein Karoo.  It is in a secluded valley surrounded by the majestic Swartberg mountains.

Prince Albert hosted its annual Olive Festival which was lots of fun.  There were activities like donkey cart rides, half marathon, olive tastings, cooking lessons, stalls, live music, etc.  If ever you feel like getting away from it all, Prince Albert is the place to go to.  It's an unpretentious Karoo town, even though it is getting more and more popular with tourists.  I hope it is going to stay that way and not become too commercialized like (dare I say) Franschhoek which is accidentally my childhood town...

http://www.uys.com/bushmanvalley/index.htm

Doorway with little birdie

Sculpture garden in Prince Albert - artist unknown (to me)

Prince Albert Findings ('Optelgoed')
I came back to the studio with lots of new ideas and inspired by the beautiful rocks of the Swartberg mountains.  I have a habit of picking up interesting pieces of glass, rocks and  rusted metal whenever I walk in a foreign place.  You will  be surprised to see what I have collected over the years from places far far away from home!  Here are a few of my Prince Albert 'precious finds'.

No comments:

Post a Comment