Friday, June 1, 2012

Buying supplies in Cape Town

Yesterday I went to Cape Town to buy supplies and was so lucky as it was a glorious day, no rain which meant no traffic delays!  As I travelled from Wellington to Cape Town driving past vineyards in all shades of browns and majestic Table Mountain in the background, I counted my blessings one by one.  I felt really spoilt to live in this beautiful part of the world.

My first stop was at Cape Pottery Supplies to buy underglaze and raku clay.  From there I drove into town to BJOberholzer, and bought a rectifier to use in the process of electroplating seedpods, leaves, etc into jewellery charms.  I know very little about electroplating and became interested therein when I bought a video from Jewelry Making Daily.  I've been experimenting with copper wire and copper etching now for a while and see copper plating as one more step to create unique jewellery with my beads.  I've put Monday aside to experiment with the new equipment and will be posting on my progress.

Always making the most of a trip to Cape Town, I first had coffee at a pavement cafe and then quickly dashed to one of my favourite shops in Cape Town - African Image.   At African Image you will find Africa's finest authentic artefact and township craft - always beautifully displayed.  Do go there when you're in Cape Town, its near Green Market Square and Long Street.


I also did some glaze experiments this week by adding crystals to glazes.  I like the bottom left glaze but the question is:  Will I get the same result next time?


  Don't forget to like us on Facebook and you could be the winner of our Zebra necklace.

No comments:

Post a Comment