Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Happy Birthday! Baie geluk met jou verjaarsdag!

One of our beadmakers and my right hand lady in the studio, Angelico Jacobs, turned 25 today.  Happy Birthday, Angelico!  Her little darling daughter, Taryn, visited us in the studio yesterday. She wanted to pose for a photo next to this sculpture which her mommy helped to mosaic a few years ago as part of a community project.



We've been busy with a challenging commission the past two weeks.   I was asked to copy a poem by the struggle poet, Breyten Breytenbach onto ceramic tiles for the Poet's Garden in Wellington.  Angelico made  the tiles with our local terracotta clay and I painted the poems on the tiles majolica style.  There are 7 poems to be copied onto tiles and this is the first installation.


1 comment:

  1. Desiree, I thought you might enjoy seeing this old picture at my Polymer Clay teacher's blog:

    http://www.beadsandbeading.com/blog/cindy-lietz-polymer-clay-artist-mixed-media-art-craft-instructor/621/#more-621

    I thought of her bear statue when I saw the photo of Angelico and Taryn and their community project. The bear is painted with selected children's drawings and was a fundraiser for a Children's Charity in British Columbia (west coast of Canada). Isn't it fabulous when people can get together and share their art... the results are always wonderful! I hope you will share your completed garden installation (close-ups please!)

    ReplyDelete