Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Picture Parcels

Since opening my Etsy Shop I have been building relationships with my local Post Office staff.  In the beginning I was so nervous - I didn't have a clue of which documents to fill in, how to calculate international shipping costs, etc.  The kind people behind the counter were very helpful and patiently answered all my questions and we are now well acquianted.

I visit the Post Office at least once a week with parcels addressed to people all over the world.  I hand the parcels with the required customs form to the staff member who then cover  them with bright and beautiful stamps.  There are so many stamps that the green customs label often has to go onto the flipside.  Once they're covered with stamps, airmail and green customs label, they look like small works of art!  The process goes so quickly and because of the long line of people waiting behind me, I never have time to look closely at the stamps.

There were only 2 other people in the Post Office queue this morning.  That's when I decided  to take a picture of my weekly parcel art works.  When I asked the staff member if I could do so, she looked at me in surprise (and so did the other 2 people in the queue!).  But then she remembered - this is the eccentric pottery lady, the one who plays with mud and make ceramic beads, the one who often has clay streaks on her face and in her hair....  She smiled and helped me to arrange the colourful parcels on the counter so that I can take a good picture.  Thank you Wellington Post Office staff - I appreciate you!

1 comment:

  1. Your posties are probably thrilled to have your business, Desiree! Remember when email and the internet were first being commonly utilized for everyday correspondence, and there was a popular assumption that Post Offices would soon go out of business? There may have been a decrease in certain types of snail mail, but online business has more than made up for it.

    I love the picture you present as the "eccentric clay lady", laden with your colourful parcels. I was a stamp collector as a child, and to this day I am fascinated by the beautiful and diverse stamps of countries the world over. My dear Dad used to call stamps "the first and most cheerful passports". They really do present a country's best first impression, don't they?

    ReplyDelete