Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Transfer of skills

It is a sad fact that South Africa has the third highest unemployment rate for people between the ages of 15 and 24.  It is estimated that more than 50% of young South Africans between 15 and 24 are unemployed. There is of course no easy solution or quick fix to this problem and promises by politicians to create millions of jobs when they come into power, simply never happens.  So it is up to us ordinary people to do our small bit to create opportunities for our youth.  I believe that the least we can do is to share our knowledge and skills.  It is then also the reason why I asked my regular bead makers to bring two unemployed young women to the studio this week so that we can teach them how to make ceramic beads.  They have never before set foot in a pottery studio or visited a gallery!  Today they made beads and learnt about the properties of ceramic clay and tomorrow we'll visit the Breytenbach gallery where my jewellery is still on display.
Estelle and Lidihanna with our winners names which were chosen randomly from a bowl.

And the winners of my blog give away is:  Anne from Belgium and Helga from Italy.  Congratulations to you and please e-mail your postal addresses to me (earthbutterstudio@gmail.com).  Both of you chose our black, turquoise raku bead sets as your favourites and you'll receive bead sets in that colour combination.  Thank you to all of you who left comments - we'll do this again soon.





2 comments:

  1. Hello Desiree,

    Thank you so, so, so much !!! It's the first time in my all life that I win something... I'm delighted it come from you ! Your beads and your jewels are so beautiful. I like your way of doing good acts for the unemployed people. Little rivers will become wide seas... Congratullations for work .
    Thanks again, have a wonderful day !

    Anne

    Ps : congrats to Helga from Italy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really glad that you are employing people who need jobs. Keep us posted on their progress!

    ReplyDelete